Cook with Lana...Spicy Grilled Shrimp
Cook with Lana...
Chili paste and fish sauce give these shrimp a Thai inspired flavor. Both are available in the ethnic food aisles at most supermarkets.
For The Shrimp:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 3 to 4 limes)
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Safflower oil, for brushing
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left intact)
- Coarse salt
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent charring.
Make the sauce: Bring sugar and lime juice to a simmer in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime zest, chili paste and fish sauce.
Make the shrimp: Heat grill to high. Brush grates with oil. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer; season with salt. Divide sauce in half; reserve half for serving. Grill shrimp for 1 minute; brush with sauce. Flip, and grill for 1 minute more; brush with sauce again. Flip, and grill, brushing occasionally with sauce, until opaque, 1 to 3 minutes more. Serve with reserved sauce.