CARAMELIZED MUSHROOM TARTS
Rate This Recipe
Purchase pre-made puff pastry tart shells in the freezer section or shelf stable aisle at your high-end grocery store. This recipe is elegant and impressive and as easy as it is delicious!
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 24 pre-made mini tart shells
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme sprigs, for garnish
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the sliced shallots and cook over medium heat until tender and caramelized, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- In a separate large sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Add half of the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, then cook over medium-high heat until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add half of the garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more. Transfer the sautéed mushrooms to a plate, wipe out the skillet and repeat the process with the remaining mushrooms, garlic and thyme. When you have sautéed all of the mushrooms, combine the two batches of mushrooms along with the caramelized shallots in one sauté pan. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the pre-made mini tart shells on a baking sheet and fill each shells with a tablespoon of the mushroom/shallot mixture. Top each tart with a small piece of the goat cheese, torn from the log, and season the cheese with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tartlets for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese softens and the tarts are heated through. Garnish each tart with a fresh sprig of thyme before serving.