SOURDOUGH APPLE STUFFING
Rate This Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds sourdough bread, crust trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large Braeburn, Honeycrisp or Fuji apples - peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Toast the bread cubes at 350°F until crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Cook the diced bacon in a large sauté pan until crisp. Add the onions and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the apples and sauté 3 minutes more.
- Add the bacon mixture to the bread cubes along with the nuts, parsley and sage and mix well. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix to combine. Add enough stock to moisten the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into buttered casserole dishes. Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more, or until top is golden and crisp.