SPICY SPLIT PEA SOUP
Rate This Recipe
Simple to prepare on top of the stove and even simpler when made in your slow cooker or crock pot, this recipe makes a fabulous, spicy version of split pea soup. If you are not a Chorizo lover, use a ham hock to impart flavor, then remove the hock before pureeing the soup.
- 1 pound green split peas
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound diced chorizo (or a small ham hock)
- 1 yellow onion, cut in quarters and peeled
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large soup pot. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook the soup until the peas are tender about 1 hour. Remove the pot from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Using a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in your food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
- Chef's Note: This soup tastes better the next day, and the day after that, and...