SPRING ROLLS with SWEET-TART DIPPING SAUCE
Rate This Recipe
I love the family-style approach to this make-your-own Spring Roll Party!
- 1/4 pound vermicelli rice noodles, soaked and drained
- 1/2 pound barbequed pork, lean beef or chicken, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves removed
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves removed
- 20 rice paper rounds (6 to 7-inch diameter)
- SWEET-TART DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce (called nuoc mam)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Chile paste or hot red pepper flakes
- Place ingredients within easy reach of everyone at the table. Moisten the rice paper by rubbing with water. Let stand a few moments until softened.
- On the bottom third of the rice paper round, make a small pile of rice noodles, a few shreds of meat, half a shrimp, some lettuce, carrot, and a leaf of each herb.
- Roll up the rice paper over the filling until you have a tight cylinder.
- DIPPING SAUCE
- Combine the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake. Taste for sweet-tart balance, adding more lime or sugar as needed.