STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES with BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Rate This Recipe
To prevent the cooked biscuits from crumbling when you cut them, wait until they cool, then use a serrated knife to cut them in half. This traditional Spring dessert is also delicious with a white chocolate mousse and strawberry filling.
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated or brown sugar
- For the Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced (optional)
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Combine the Strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Allow the strawberries to macerate for a least one hour.
- To make the biscuits, preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine all of the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Remove the mixture from the processor and place it in a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk while mixing with your hands until a sticky, but firm, dough forms. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Form rough balls of dough , 3-inches in diameter. Place the balls of dough on the baking sheet and brush each with a little buttermilk, then sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with sugar. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- To serve, split the biscuits and fill each biscuit with the strawberries and their juices. Top with whipped cream and the top half of each biscuit.