SUMMER GRILLED VEGETABLES with SHAVED PARMESAN and HONEY
Rate This Recipe
Inspired by the flavors of Sicily, the honey helps caramelize the vegetables and the shavings of cheese add the perfect counterpart of salty, tanginess. Truly delicious
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise, 1/4 inch thick
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thickly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan Cheese, shaved from the chunk of cheese using a vegetable
- peeler or 2 ounces of Parmesan Shavings
- 12 basil leaves, coarsely torn
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. In a small saucepot, combine the honey and the orange juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the vegetables with enough olive oil to lightly coat and season liberally with salt and pepper. Gently toss.
- Grill the vegetables until nicely charred but still crisp-tender, turning often. (If using thin asparagus spears, add these to the grill last, as they will cook quickly).
- Brush the vegetables with the honey/orange juice mixture and continue to grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, brushing the vegetables with the mixture and allowing the honey to caramelize from the heat of the grill.
- To serve, arrange the vegetables on a large platter. Top with shaving of Parmesan cheese and torn basil leaves.